Register

Thread: Some Questions.

Some Questions.

Whats stock gear rate in a 98 classic cherokee? Also how hard is it to re-gear? i want to move to 4.56 for 35inch tires. Also when re-gearing if i do the rear ill also have to do the front if im correct? Sorry for the newb Question.

Another Question. Whats the difference between long-arm, 3link, or 4 link? Whats the pros and cons of each? What would you prefer.
    Its a jeep thing...

Yes the gear ratios must match, just as the front and rear tire sizes must match, otherwise you end up with a push me pull you (It'll try to tear itself apart)
    Anybody please correct me if I'm wrong, Long arm will allow for a higher lift with greater travel, 4 link is probably what you have on your Cherokee front axle now, 2 arms between the chassis and axle on each side
    1 on top, 1 at the bottom to locate the axle, 3 link is similar but has only 1 upper link in the center, not used too often and mostly on rear drive cars, just not as strong (the terms link and arm are interchangeable)

how hard is it to regear your self? I saw a tool hulu posted ment for stuff like this. If i got my hands on one will it work out easly for me?
    Its a jeep thing...

Stock gearing for most cherokees is 3:55.

Any time you regear a 4 wheel drive vehicle you have to do both fron and rear or else the front and rear gears will be moving at different speeds and fighting each other causing ure T case, drive shafts, or diffs to grenade.

If you have a st8 6 4.0 then 4:56 id the preferred ratio to fun 35's . But when you combine with lockers you could run 4:10. All about what ure looking to do, and preference.

Long arms are exactly what they say they are. Elongated control arms.

The terms 3, 4, or Y link just refer to how many points are attached to the axle side, how many, and what type of arms are used. There are tons of variations on this, people are always coming up with there own version of the system. Again it all comes down to preference. If you going to be getting that serious about your rig you have to ask yourself what you want to use it for, type of terrain, etc and build according to what system fits you need best.

Re gearing your self is def not easy. Wither ure doing it ure self or paying for labor, its expensive. Im in the process of doing it myself. But the axle im working on is on my work table in the garage. Ideal conditions. Im finding out there are A LOT of specialty tools needed for the job. It is doable for anyone with soem mechanical knowledge. Im no pro mechanic but I wanna learn. Thats all you need. Here is the best write up ive found and its the one im following. Read it over and over and over till you get it.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/te...sta/Gear_Setup
    Last edited by HuLuD44; 12-16-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Well i want to run just a rear locker as the time being. I have the money for rear/Front gears and a decnt rear locker. What i cant afford is the 500 plus labor if i have a shop install them. So i wana atempt it my self.
    Its a jeep thing...

if you want a rear locker just get an aussie for your rear for now. There cheap and easy as hell to install and a good start point to learn form, instead of biting off more than you can chew at first. Re gearing is a big job for someone new to everything.

Regearing is not the easiest thing to do. You need a bunch of special tools and micrometers for checking the backlash and pinion depth as well as a press for the bearings. If you were quoted at only 500 for labor consider that cheep.

There should be a tag on your differential housing that will tell you what your stock gear ratio is.
    You will also have to buy a new larger carrier for the front diff.

As for long arms... With the frame end of the control arm mounted farther back on the frame the position of the arm (at ride height) will be closer to parallel with the ground. This means that as the suspension cycles the arc of the axle is less. and therfore giving you a smoother ride and more suspention travel.
    Built not Bought

2000 XJ
    Rustys 4.5"
    33" BFG KM2
    4.56 Gears / Aussie Locker
    Logans Metal Works Bumper
    Smittybuilt Winch

Gear are probably one of the most time comsuming to do because everything needs to be right other wise you'll have gear noises and shorten the life span of the gears.
    It's a Bronco thing........95 Bronco--6" Lift--37's--Hefty Fab Front bumper--BroncoAir rear bumper--SAS in the works

3links are really flexy and take a little
    More fabrication... Long arms are control arms thT are attached to a crossmember closer to the middle of the jeep and the flatter the control arm angle the better the on-road ride..you nay have read somehwre about someone doing a 4-link in the rear of a Cherokee which means getting rid of the leaf springs and putting coils in the back and control arms... Like a TJ or a a ZJ it will have somewhat of a similar setup. And remember how much lift you have doesn't mean how capable your jeep is... Search lcog... Lower center of gravity on here.. Wade posted a link that had a crapload of info
    89 Comanche-4.0,ax-15,D30/44 lifted 6.5 Clayton Longarms on 33'' A/Ts

shit id kill for a $500 gear install lol. I got quoted by a shop in east northport for $1000-$1100 Id love to learn how to do them, and luckly ill be able to get some time doing it on my jk. Gears are easily one of the best mods you can do after changing tire size.
    08' Wrangler JK
    olllllllo