PDA

View Full Version : Tune Up and Header install

Blown5pnt4
06-01-2011, 10:43 PM
With my stuff ordered I figured I'd post up. This is my first time doing anything really to my ZJ so I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I tear it apart. Is there anything in particular to watch out for or make sure I dont screw up ? lol I'll be installing,

New plugs (what should I gap these to ?)
Wires
Cap and rotor
MSD coil

I'll also be installing a header on the truck, from what I've heard I have to remove the intake manifold to do this job. Is there anything to watch out for or tips when it comes to tackling this ? Planning on getting it all running, and then driving to the muffler shop down the road from my house open header to get the rest of the system welded up. (should be interesting lol)

Any tips, tricks, advice or reccomendations on needed non-common tools needed, is welcome and appreciated. Thanks

Tat2dfreak
06-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Watch those MSD coils, i had one for a little over a year and it crapped out and have read a lot of bad things about them since.

Some people have removed the exhaust mainifold with out taking the intake off but it to me its easier to take the intake off and you get to clean everything that way.

Goonies.nsd
06-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Yeah the intake and exhaust gasket are one and the same. So your better off removing the intake to clean up any grime. You may have to remove the power steering pump if i remember. Earlier ones had there own bracket. But i think yours they bolted the power steering pump rite to the intake. The manifold bolts are 9/16s. If you have one use a good 3/8s drive swivel socket. Your gonna need an extension to get the lower ones. And be ready to work by touch. Some of the lower manifold bolts are hard to see. If you have the heat shield on top of your intake?? If you remove that you can see some of the bolts through the gaps in the intake. Ive heard that some of the intake bolts like to snap in the heads. but luckily i have never had that happen. If they look a little rusty, i would suggest replacing them. Nothing sucks worse than tightening up your new header and have a bolt snap. Good luck.

Blown5pnt4
06-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Really ? I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it. Ive always had MSD stuff in various mustangs and such and never an issue. Thanks though. What do you reccomend cleaning while its off ? Forgot to mention I also plan on picking up a valve cover gasket and taking care of that. Any reccomendations on the best gasket to get ? Felpro, Mopar, etc ?

Tat2dfreak
06-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Yeah over onthe bronco site a lot of guys have had problems with the MSD coils, not sure if its just those coils or not.

Mopar of Felpro should be fine and i would recomend Mopar wires because the aftermarket on don't fit the factory one do it the holders.

Blown5pnt4
06-02-2011, 01:21 AM
Wires are already bought....Magnecor....Over on Jeep Forum, they seem to be highly reccomended. If I have to I'll make a holder or make something work. Do you happen to know what the tq spec I would need for reinstalling the intake mani ? I like to make sure I tq stuff down to it should be. I gotta remember to go pick up some anti sieze and loctite too...

Blown5pnt4
06-02-2011, 01:31 AM
never mind found this on the other site

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/rjcourt/boltseq.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/rjcourt/4.jpg